So, $868 later and my SUV is fixed. Didn’t know I was having car trouble? Well, it all started when….
My good mechanic friend helped me pick up my new Mini Cooper from the dealer. I drove my SUV out to Annapolis and he drove my SUV back while I drove the Mini. After dropping my SUV at my house, he tells me my shifter has much more play since the last time he drove it. Hmmm….I can’t say I’m surprised because when others are driving my SUV, they have trouble finding some of the gears.
And…
Laa-Laa informs me at the Blue Hen Analversary weekend that 2 of my 3 back brake lights are burned out. Jeez! It’s a wonder I haven’t been rear-ended or pulled over for that.
So, last Thursday I drop my SUV at the mechanic with 4 complaints:
- Inspect shifter
- Brake lights
- Engine noise – drive belt perhaps?
- Burning oil smell – oil change perhaps? Its been about 4K miles since the last one.
Later that day I get the synopsis:
- Shifters been worn out to the point that not only are bushings worn out, but all the widgets up to the shift lever are ground to dust.
- Brake lights will take 10 minutes to replace.
- The engine noise I’ve been hearing for 3 weeks are the oil pressure flaps. I’ve burnt my oil to a crisp. They’re going to perform an oil change and also include an additive to decrease the viscosity of the oil for the next oil change.
- And that smell I just decided to check out on the way to the mechanic? Oh, that was just my brakes. My front left caliper locked up and scraped my brake pads down until there was nothing left.
Lord almighty! It’s a wonder that I haven’t been the cause of 6-car pileup with these sorts of car problems! All I can say is that driving back and forth to VA Beach has been hellish on my poor SUV. I’ve practically run it into the ground.
Well, no more of that from now on. Whether or not I drive 3K miles or not, I’m changing/adding fluids every 6 months (especially since the Mini doesn’t require servicing until 15K miles). I want my SUV to last a long, long time.
1 comment:
congrats on the new car!~
Post a Comment