As you may or may not be aware, @ss Spelunker moved in with me right before New Year’s. Of course, one of my conditions for providing him reduced rent is that he is required to do household chores. Believe it or not, I am a very good (but lazy) cook.
I had not cooked a proper meal in about 4 years because I didn’t feel that cooking for myself was a worthwhile use of my time. However, now that I’m not traveling 3-plus hours one way to whatever weekend destination I have chosen, I have re-evaluated this choice. As a result, I have informed Mr. Spelunker that if I cook all the meals, he must do all the dishes.
He doesn’t see it that way, though. Even though it could take me 1 ½ hours to cook a meal, he feels that doing dishes daily when he did not dirty the dishes and I did not cook that day is not required. I disagree. I have a dishwasher and 90% of my dishes can simply be placed in the dishwasher. So, at most, he spends 15 – 20 minutes per day doing dishes, while I spend at least 3-4 hours per week cooking.
So who is the lazy one here?
So far, my responses to this question have been cleanly split along gender lines – the girls think I am right and the guys think Spelunker is right. Jeez! Men and women will never agree!
8 comments:
While I understand his position, I can also see yours. The terms of the original agreement called for him to do the dishes. Unless there was a provision that said "only when you (Wendy) cook" or "only when I (Spelunker) dirty them" I think he should do the dishes. He should do the dishes, just because he agreed to, regardless of who actually dirtied them. That's my vote.
Hey, anytime someone cooks for me, I am happy to do the dishes. So I guess the question is, is he eating the meals that you cook. If so...then he needs to step up and clean the damn dishes.
Actually I never agreed to do the dishes in the first place. I've done the dishes ever sense I've moved in. I was just getting my point across. "Just because you have the pussy doesn't mean that I have to do everything you want." aka I'm not your bitch. I only chose one time to not do the dishes, and I didn't. She ended up doing them that night. It's just nice to stick up for the men's rights that the women's job is to take care of the men hehehe.
yes every time she cooks I do the dishes and that's how I always do it just because I'm a nice guy......not because I'm scared.
Now if your willing to take it up the butt every now and then I will be willing to break the rules every once and a while :-)
Well, if you never agreed to do the dishes in the first place, and you were just doing them to be nice whenever she cooked, then nevermind. I'll support your position.
Quit whining, Late Night. Any work in the kitchen should be done by a woman. Period.
You're not gonna like this, but I do the majority of the cooking and the majority of the cleaning (including the dishes). If I ask Nick to help me, he will, but most of the time, I just do it myself. You can save time by doing whatever dishes you can while stuff cooks (i.e. all the prep bowls, knives, etc). Then again, i also bake my own bread, so our house is more like 1950s than 2008.
From your overly domestic sister, I completely agree with you. Too bad I can't get Anthony to help me. Well, he will do dishes... eventually. As in a week or so. Sort of like our mom who saved two weeks of dishes (or so it seemed) for us to do when we'd visit her for the weekend. Tell him that horror story and he might be a bit more sympathetic.
You do what works for BOTH of you. ALWAYS doesn't work for crap, especially in relationships.
I'm sure you aren't ALWAYS cooking, just like I'm sure he isn't ALWAYS doing the dishes.
But I'm sure the dishes aren't really the problem; it's adjusting to living together.
My prescription: make dinner or order out and do the dishes together so it's over with quickly and then spend the rest of the evening enjoying each other and remembering why you moved in together in the first place! The dishes won't matter as much after.
Post a Comment