Monday, September 12, 2005

Racing for the Airport dream

Boozie posted a dream she had last week and I guess I’m a total copycat, so I’ll write about one I had last night. My dreams tend to take on a nightmarish quality, though – I always seem to be in a rush to do something and am racing against time (a recurring theme…am I scared of time? – I wonder).


I dreamt that I needed to fly out of Dulles airport with my brother, sister, my dad, and my dad’s significant other (I can’t recall if it was supposed to be my mom or my step-mom, or some generic mother figure – big give-away there on a sub-conscious level, isn’t it?). We’re all running out of time to get to the airport and are running to the metro station to catch the blue and yellow lines, but we specifically want the yellow line (Look, I know metro doesn’t run to Dulles and you certainly wouldn’t catch the yellow line – it’s a dream! Although it could be National, but I wouldn’t have been gung-ho on the yellow line then). One other odd thing - the yellow and blue lines have separate platforms (maybe I am thinking National airport - don't they have that odd 3rd platform in the middle?).


Now this is where the weirdness sets in. We get to the platform and I realize I’m missing my sequined red evening purse (I don’t own one, but in the dream I do). My dream jumps to a Hecht’s store where I'm digging for the purse underneath a table fixture. I find my purse and inside are a pair of Dooney & Bourke shoes (yes, D&B don’t make shoes and how the hell can shoes fit inside an evening bag?). Well, since I was rooting around in the main store looking for merchandise I left under a table, I get picked up by security for trying to steal. I try to convince them that the stuff is really bought and paid for while my dream jumps back to the metro station (without the red sequined purse).

This time the metro station is enclosed by an indoor swimming pool approximately 20 feet across with a tiny 1-foot glass-windowed ledge all around and a small bridge in the center leading to the platform. This sequence actually gets replayed several times. The first time I try to walk around the ledge of the pool, my sister and brother push me in and I freak since I just had my hair done (yes, I know! What is so goddamn important about straight hair! I’ve become totally paranoid about it!). The second time, I safely navigate the ledge around the swimming pool and successfully meet up with my dad. This time he has a huge red suitcase (which actually resembles a suitcase I own), and there wasn’t any luggage earlier in my dream (interesting how things in dreams pop in and out, isn’t it?). Of course, as with all my dreams, my dream ends without a conclusion (how frustrating!). Do I make my flight? Why is my family in my dream? I’ve never traveled with anyone other than my sister.

Boozie, where’s that dream book?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A swimming pool indicates that you will enjoy many social gatherings with good friends, an airplane is the mind's desire to rise above or to escape, and being able to cross a bridge means that you shouldn't change your lifestyle, but since you fell off of it the first time in crossing, it might mean something else.

I haven't had a good one since the "Where the Wild Things Are" dream.

Anonymous said...

Late Night-
I had a gazillion deep thoughts on what your dream represents, maybe next time I see you we will discuss it, and not merkins.

Late Nite Drive Thru said...

just a clarification - I didn't fall off the bridge, I was trying to navigate around the edge of the pool towards the bridge
I fell trying to reach the bridge