Sunday, January 21, 2007

Girl’s Night Out (the day after)

I’d Do ‘Er wakes us up at the butt-crack of dawn (should’ve known that staying with that perpetual fountain of energy would entail early rising) to head over to her local “grease-spoon”, or in other words, a diner. And boy! Is the place tiny! And the service slow! I swear it takes us 3 hours to eat. The food is wonderfully greasy though.

While we’re waiting for our abysmally slow service, we check out the local rags. Hoover runs across an ad for Eastern Market and asks how far it is. A couple of blocks? Like the bar was only a couple of blocks last night? No matter. Neither Hoover nor I have ever visited Eastern Market (and I’ve lived in the DC area for 10 years!), so we talk I’d Do ‘Er into taking us there. Oooohhhh….a psychic! Hoover and I would SO love to have a reading done today, but since I’ve blown my cash buying her breakfast, it will have to wait for another time. Lots of jewelry vendors. I look for a charm vendor as I always can use more hash charms for the hash necklaces I seem to accumulate, but there are none to be found. Hats – none to my liking. Sunglasses – I can always use a backup pair! I seem to either lose or break them all the time. I wonder what ever happened to the aviators I took to Tex-Mex?

And then we meet Quest…what a dynamic female! She invites us to stand by her space heater because by this point I’d Do ‘Er is grumbling about the cold. That girl is wearing more clothes than us!

Regardless, let’s get back to Quest! She paints in an impressionistic style and almost all of her paintings feature bright colors and women. They’re so energizing! She has a spectacular Bob Marley painting that if I was a true fan would be on my MUST BUY list. I spot a painting that reminds me of how I look waking up each morning. I must have it! And she personalizes it! She writes:

2 Wendy,
We should always see ourselves as art even when its questionable.

Hoover finds a painting that inspires her as well…it has a resolution to blaze a trail and depicts a female runner. I’d Do ‘Er wants the painting too, so the two of them duke it out over who’s buying the painting. Hoover ends up with the painting, but I’d Do ‘Er promises to commission a painting from Quest. A most enjoyable encounter, if I say so myself!

As we head back to I’d Do ‘Er’s place, the skies open up and it begins to snow (hard!). Well, there go any plans to play ultimate Frisbee or to get a long run in today….(excuses! excuses!)

What else can we do? We veg out and play a strategy game called the “Settlers of Catan”. It’s relatively simple as strategy games go. In fact, I wish there is more involved to the game, but we’re having fun and we don’t want to go anywhere while it’s snowing out. And let me tell you! Miss I’d Do ‘Er is a vicious little biiatch when participating in competitive endeavors. I have never seen her so cut-throat before. She tries to wheedle cards out of Hoover and I, influence us to sabotage each other, and blackmails us. Yes, I said blackmail!

She threatens Hoover, “If you don’t remove that soldier, I will f*ck you up!”
Lord amercy! There isn’t any reason for that here! Isn’t this supposed to be a friendly game to while away the time?

And since we haven’t had enough of each other’s company yet, we watch a movie called Closer. What a cluster-f*ck of a situation! But although the movie leaves a bad taste in my mouth afterwards, I have to agree with my girls. What happens in that movie happens in lots of relationships (none of mine, fortunately).

….so all in all…a very eventful weekend – a concert, a class reunion, a work party, a wild drinking night with hashers, shopping, and general girl-bonding. For my first weekend back in DC in over a month, it wasn’t a bad start!

No comments: