So what prompted me to write this song? All I can recall is that I was driving home last night absorbed in my thoughts (as always) and this subject came to mind. And usually that is how all my songs start. I come up with the title first and then brainstorm the lyrics. Sometimes the title changes based on the direction of my thoughts and sometimes the entire subject changes.
So, today, recalling that I wanted to write a song about “High Maintenance Men”, I sat down to write this song, and voila! 11 minutes later – this is what I’ve produced. I’ve altered my usual routine in that I have a two-stanza chorus, but I wrote the first stanza much later in the song and thought it was just as appropriate as a chorus. Since I make my own rules about song-writing, I’m gonna have a two stanza chorus, and none y’all can stop me! Enjoy my venting!
I’m tired of acceding
To men’s desires
I’m tired of puppetry
To escape their ire
Why must I be perfect
In face, dress, and style
Why can’t I be me
Whether pretty or foul
Chorus:
I’m tired of challenges
And too-pretty men
That are fluff and pompous
And nothing within
These high-maintenance men
Ask for too much
I refuse to cooperate
I refuse to adjust
I want a man who thinks
I’m beautiful upon waking
Not an object that must remain
On that pedestal for dating
I give up the chase
I throw in the towel
If you want me, you must
Slave and kow-tow
Chorus:
I’m tired of challenges
And too-pretty men
That are fluff and pompous
And nothing within
These high-maintenance men
Ask for too much
I refuse to cooperate
I refuse to adjust
Don’t bother, metrosexuals
Go away, man-wh*res
I’m only looking for values
Unavailable from the store
I feel better being me
Don’t make me be more
Than I’m willing to give
I can’t believe I was lured
Chorus:
I’m tired of challenges
And too-pretty men
That are fluff and pompous
And nothing within
These high-maintenance men
Ask for too much
I refuse to cooperate
I refuse to adjust
No comments:
Post a Comment