Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Treadmills vs. Tracks vs. Open Running

I’ve been asked by quite a few people recently why I don’t run indoors for my half-marathon training:

  1. I HATE treadmills!! I have an irrational fear that I will fall off. Besides, I don’t like being constrained within the box that a treadmill creates around you.
  2. Indoor tracks are hard to find. I don’t belong to a gym with an indoor track and don’t really want to exert that much effort to attend one for the sole purpose of recording my speed sessions.
  3. Tracks are boring. I don’t relish the idea of running around a track 20 times for a 5-mile run or 40 times for a 10-mile run. Do you??
  4. Fresh air. It’s nice. It clears your lungs. I might smell exhaust fumes on occasion, but at least I’m not going to contract germs from underperforming ventilation systems.
  5. Scenery. Lots of adventures while running. Getting chased by dogs. Getting run over by cars. Scaring other pedestrians as you run by. Swearing at Mother Nature for placing a hill in your path.
  6. Flexibility. I can run where I choose. If I choose to explore a new neighborhood or street or park, I can do so.
  7. Ego boost! If you couldn’t tell already, I’m an attention wh*re. I like being observed while running, so I get thrills from random cars honking at me while I run. Yes, I’m easy….

I think that’s enough reasons, don’t you? So no matter the weather (as long as the path is clear) I will run outside. Certainly more than qualifies me as a hasher (and a great candidate for hash cash)!

2 comments:

Catwoman said...

ntazdI'm with you on everyone of those. I also think the varied terrain makes running outside a bit more challenging.

I'm obviously running in the wrong places as I don't get honked!

Catwoman said...

That's weird. The 'natzd' at the beginning of my post above was the word verification I had to type in.