Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I Feel Great!

I know y'all have heard enough about my half-marathon training, but I have to shout at the top of my lungs about how great I feel for taking on this challenge. I only started training 3 weeks ago, but already the difference in my attitude is phenomenal! I'm in week 3 of my 8 weeks of training and I'm so proud that I have been running 5 out of 7 days every week and haven't killed or over-exerted myself. Who knew??!!


A year ago, I was bemoaning the fact that I'm not a fast runner and am always the DFL at the hash. And although my running isn't much speedier at the hash than in the past, I've realized that I run better on my own than at the hash. I believe it is all the stopping and starting that causes me to lose my momentum. When I start with a certain pace during a r*ce or a run, I usually stick to that pace no matter what the distance. Which gets me to my next point. I don't feel any pain in my legs while I'm in constant motion. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing…. I def feel sore as soon as I stop running, but it has no residual after-effects.


Happy on His Knees told me last March that I probably have the capacity to be a great distance runner like Vominatrix who apparently has the same build as me (Amazonian, I assume). I've never aspired to be a distance runner, but I can tell his statement is coming true. I think what continually amazes me the most, though, is that after I run 4 or 6 or even 8 miles, I still have residual energy stores left that allow me to race to the finish. I know this probably isn't a good training tactic, but just the thought of finishing makes me speed up everytime.


….so until March 17th, y'all are going to be subjected to my training updates – no matter how boring they may be…

4 comments:

brownie said...

A few more weeks of speedwork and you'll see a noticable improvement, keep it up!

ATLLG said...

I agree with B....keep up the speedwork ........I'm a bit freaky as well...I feel really good and warmed up after about 5-7 miles....then I hit my stride...but I've only been a 10Kr

Spotty said...

Awesome! You go girl!

Barbara said...

You are doing great...just keep at it. Kick ass baby!