Friday, March 30, 2007

A Night at the Opera

I’ve never been inside the Kennedy Center. Yes, you can add that to my list of millions of things I’ve never accomplished as a DC resident (until today!). Fire in the Hole is a member of one of the local choral societies and will be singing Carmina Burana this evening. I love “O Fortuna” from Carmina Burana! So when Fire in the Hole offered Digby’s Beer Palace (the DC hashing listserv) tickets for 15% off the list price, I signed up.

Now the interesting thing about this performance is that it is primarily a ballet – but set to the music of an opera. So what am I to call what I am observing? I’m watching the ballet, but what drew me was the opera music. Is it an operatic ballet?


Regardless, the ballet is fantastic. The set design, the costumes and the dancing are fabulous. The music is dead on and the solo performances are entrancing. My only complaint is that since my seat is on the far right side, I am unable to view any performances in the right wing of the stage. Ah well, I only paid $27 for the seat – what can I expect?


Trivia of the evening:

Some of the lyrics from Carmina Burana were found in a German monastery and when Carl Orff wrote the composition, he believed the lyrics were spiritual in nature. However, the lyrics are ACTUALLY drinking songs written in old German. Go figure! I’m drawn to all things related to drinking. Makes me wonder what the lyrics are saying, though.


Bar: Circle Bistro

Total Bar Count: 52

Total DC Bars: 29

No comments: