I’ve never been to Shamrockfest although I’ve known about it for years. It used to be held on the streets around Ballston Commons Mall, but in recent years, it’s been so crowded that this year the venue has changed to the tailgate area around RFK stadium. It’s basically an all-day concert and beerfest where everyone dresses in green. The head-liners this year are Carbon Leaf and Flogging Molly.
As we all crashed at Hermie’s and TOM’s last night, we have a slow start to our day. Chlorine backs out of joining us, but Designer and the Tidewater boys are all for it. After a rowdy ride on metro (and an encounter with Toothfairy), we finally arrive at RFK around
Damn! I’ve missed one of my favorite local bands – Liquid A. They are playing another set in the VIP tent, but despite my wheedling, I can’t convince PSA to give me a VIP wristband (he’s a stage manager and could hook me up if he wants to). PSA tells me that unless I perform sexual favors, I’m not gettin’ none. Hmmmphhh! I don’t want to see Liquid A that bad! As one last attempt, I ask PSA if I perform sexual favors on someone else and allow him to watch if he would give up the VIP pass then, but nope. Sexual favors must be performed on PSA. Well, I tried….but I can always catch Liquid A at Clarendon Grille for $5.
My favorite band of the evening is Jimmie’s Chicken Shack – they’re excellent! Carbon Leaf isn’t bad, but they’re playing at the same time as Jimmie’s Chicken Shack. I def make the best decision. Then, finally, the last band is Flogging Molly, but I leave during their show because I keep getting trampled by the shockwaves of the moshpit. Besides, it starts raining during the beginning of their show and certainly don’t want to get drenched.
STDs, @ss, and I walk to the port-a-potties together. Now @ss and I exit the port-a-potties around the same time and we wait and we wait for STDs.
While we’re waiting I observe a dude with a shirt that says “Buck-Fuddy 69”. How cute! I approach him and tell him how much I admire his shirt. And guess what? He had his custom made for his group of friends who have dubbed themselves the “Irish Drinking Team”. Fabulous! I’m gonna have to commission a shirt like that for myself!
Oh, and by now, we’re really wondering what has happened to STDs.
I walk by the port-a-potties calling out, “STDs, where are you?” “STDs, are you in there?”.
Understandably, I get some strange looks from people since I’m walking by toilets looking for STDs. If they only knew!
All in all, though, Shamrockfest is a blast with great music. The beer is a bit pricy at $5, but not really that much more expensive than what I would pay at a bar. Hope next year is just as fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment